Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Me & The Animal Kingdom

This week marks 32 weeks. Only 8 weeks to go (give or take a week or two)! I know that a lot of first time moms go past their due date and I could deliver as late as 42 weeks, but I'm hoping this baby has mercy on me and decides not to do that. The wait and anticipation are kinda killing me. Physically I am feeling pretty good, but emotionally and mentally I am way over waiting for him to arrive. In my ideal world he'd be all nice and ready to go at 37 weeks, which for those who don't know is considered full term. That being said, I have come to terms with waiting 8 more weeks, I am hopeful it will only be 5, and the thought of it being 10 kinda makes me want to hurt someone. As I sit and wait, I decided to find out some information about just how long of a wait (gestation period) us humans really have in comparison to the rest of the animal kingdom - here are my findings.

Animal Average Days
Hamster 16
Chicken 22
Kangaroo 35
Dog 63
Lion 108
Sheep 151
Bear 210
Hippo 240 (this one surprised me!)
Human 280
Horse 366
Blue Whale 373
Elephant 684

In short, the information I found didn't really make me feel any better, it did make me feel grateful I'm not giving birth to a whale and made me feel really bad for momma elephants. Speaking of momma whales and elephants, while I might not be giving birth to either one, I am certainly looking like both - don't believe me, here's picture proof!


3 comments:

  1. Love the picture. We have a guy friend who's got a pot belly and he goes up to pregnant ladies in stores and sympathizes with them, saying his baby's craving peanuts or that the hiccups are killing him, etc. So funny.

    My first came 6 weeks early, which was a total surprise. We had nothing ready. She spent 3.5 weeks in the NICU learning to eat, so we had those weeks to get the stuff we needed, and to paint the room, etc. And those extra few weeks of development are definitely better inside than out. PLUS baby's a whole heck of a lot quieter in there! Pros and cons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha... great picture! And you look cute! I thought I was so gross pregnant, but looking back on it, i was actually pretty cute, and i wish i had enjoyed it more!

    If you really want him to come early, you should just help someone move. Carrying boxes up and down stairs worked for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you two!! I am SOOO very excited you are going to parents -- the best parents in the world. This lil' chap is one lucky fella. You are a beautiful and radiant pregnant mama and I love that a) you and Pat are both wearing blue in this picture and b) that you have twin bellies. That's how Levi and I will be when it's our turn. :) I'm so excited for you! Only 8 more weeks! (Or 6 or 10 or...) ;)

    ReplyDelete