Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Sasquatch

Our weather took a nose dive this week, dropping nearly 20 degrees literally over night. On Monday our high was 72 and Tuesday it was 55, plunging us right into fall and reminding us winter is around the corner. For the most part I was prepared for the change and threw on a long sleeved maternity top Tuesday morning as I got ready for work. Next I rummaged through the bottom of my closet and pulled out a couple pair of sensible pregnant lady shoes - a pair of Converse and my good ol' Toms. To my horror, I couldn't so much as get the Converse to go on my foot, no matter how I tried, the heel of my foot was not going into that shoe, next up, the Toms. I managed to barely squeeze my foot into the shoe, but determined if it was that tight at 7 am I didn't want to know how they'd feel at 5 pm after a full day of work. I pulled off the Toms and slid into my trusty flip flops and ran out the door. Nearly everyone I encountered at work had some sort of comment about my choice of foot wear, to which I simply replied "it's all that would fit on my foot." That evening when I got home from work my husband was equally unimpressed with what he saw on my feet and drove me down to DSW (one of my favorite shoe stores). We looked up and down the aisle for anything that looked comfy and was bigger than an 11 (my normal not pregnant lady foot size!) For you ladies with large feet, you know how impossible it can be to find an 11, let alone anything larger. After walking down all the aisles and trying on a few pair of super comfy looking 11's that didn't work, I headed over to the men's department. As I slipped on a pair of men's Converse the dear DSW employee approached me and said "we have Converse in the ladies department if you want to try those on instead" she looked horrified as I explained to her I normally wear a size 11 and my now huge pregnant lady feet will no longer fit in a woman's shoe. She gave me a somewhat awkward "oh, okay" and walked away. Luckily for me, I was able to come away from this shopping experience with not one but two ladies shoes - both moccasin type shoes with warm fuzzy slipper like material on the inside. I'm not going to lie, they are a bit snug and there's no way in hell they'd go on with a pair of socks, but I am hopeful they are going to work for the next four(+/-) weeks until this baby comes out and then I am praying that these feet of mine go back to their "normal" size of an 11 and that I'm just experiencing swelling due to pregnancy and not permanent foot growth because of pregnancy! As a kid when my feet were growing like weeds my dad used to tease "if those get any bigger you're going to have to start wearing the boxes" the joke isn't so funny now as I fear this may become my reality.

3 comments:

  1. I hope your feet shrink back! Mine sure didn't. I wore an 8.5 or 9 before I had Caleb and since he was born almost 6 years ago I've been 9.5-10. Not as hard to find as 11+, but sure was a pain to have to buy all new shoes! I'm just glad m feet didn't grow with each pregnancy, just the first. My mom thought maybe my feet just got fatter or wider, but nope, it's all length, so weird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor thing! I used to be an 8, and I'm really more of a 9 now. Though I notice when I lose 10 or 15 lbs, even my shoes start fitting better, so maybe it's due more to the 30 lbs I still need to lose rather than too much foot growth. I remember that last stage though; you really do need a few extra things just to get you through the "huge" stage that last month! Hopefully he'll come sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mine didn't shrink either. I should probably wear a 10 1/2 now, but they're hard to come by, and i'm poor... luckily i have some 10's that work pretty good!

    ReplyDelete